Squarespace is our second-best website builder, scoring 4.7 out of 5 overall in our latest research. It has four price plans ranging from
If you’re in doubt, we recommend starting out on the free trial, followed by Squarespace’s cheapest
Squarespace scores 4.6 out of 5 in our value for money research, making it a better value option than all other builders we’ve tested, including Wix.
Here’s a look at Squarespace’s price plans, billed annually:
Squarespace Pricing Plans
Below, we’ll put our research into action and explain which Squarespace pricing plan is best for you, as well as how to get the most value out of your money, and any additional costs you may need to consider.
Overview of Squarespace’s Price Plans
|Pricing Plans||Monthly Plan ($/month)||Annual Plan ($/month)||Savings (%)|
Squarespace’s four pricing plans range from $16 to $49 per month when paid annually, or $23 to $65 per month when paid monthly. The cheapest is the
Squarespace Pricing: Need-to-Knows
- Does Squarespace offer good value for money? Yes! It’s the best value builder we’ve tested in 2023. You get a great range of features, including unlimited storage and bandwidth on its cheapest plan.
- Is Squarespace expensive compared to its competitors? It’s about the same! For example, Wix is Squarespace’s biggest competitor, and its cheapest plan also costs $16 per month. There are cheaper website builders out there, but not better value options.
- Are there any hidden costs? No! (Read on for more detail on optional extra costs, such as email marketing).
- Is there a free trial? Yes! You can try Squarespace free for 14 days – you just need an email address to get started.
- Which plan do you recommend? While the cheapest Personal plan offers great value, the $23 per month Business plan is the most popular choice by users.
- Can you get Squarespace plans any cheaper? Yes! You can save money by choosing an annual instead of a monthly plan, getting value by picking the best plan for your needs, or using a discount code (like our exclusive code below). Or, combine all three!
Exclusive Squarespace Offer Code
If this is your first time signing up to Squarespace, then you can use our exclusive offer code and save 10% on any Squarespace plan! If you use this offer to sign up to an annual plan, you’ll save roughly 30% compared to the full price of a monthly plan. Simply sign up to a free trial, then enter the code WBE when it’s time to purchase.
Below, we’ll discuss which plans are best for different websites. Wondering which Squarespace plan makes the most sense for your goals? Keep reading to find out:
Which Pricing Plan Is Best for You?
- If you want to build a website, you’ll need either the
Personalplan or the Businessplan.
- If you want to sell online, you’re better off with either the
Basic Commerceplan or the Advanced Commerceplan.
For example, we’ll say that Maria wants to make a simple website to promote her homemade cupcakes. She’ll need an About page, a Contact page, and maybe a photo gallery of her creations. Maria will need the
But what if, after a while, her desserts become so popular that she decides to turn her hobby into a small side hustle? In that case, Maria would need to upgrade to the
Let’s take a closer look at Squarespace’s four pricing plans:
Personalplan ( $16/month): Designed for (you guessed it) personal websites, this plan still offers most of Squarespace’s features (that aren’t related to ecommerce). You’ll get a wide selection of templates, and receive a free custom domain, SSL security, and 24/7 support. Businessplan ( $23/month): You can sell online with this pricing plan, but there is a 3% transaction charge on all sales. It’s more suitable for businesses who just have the odd product to sell, rather than fully-fledged online stores. Basic Commerceplan ( $27/month): This plan is practical for fully-fledged online stores. You’ll get specific tools to help you manage your store, like mobile-optimized checkouts, integrated accounting, and customer accounts. You can sell directly on Instagram, too. Advanced Commerceplan ( $49/month): This plan is best for boosting ecommerce sales. Features like abandoned cart recovery, gift cards, and flexible discounts are all designed to encourage more customers to purchase from you. These features, coupled with advanced tools for shipping, complete Squarespace’s most powerful package.
Calling All Students!
If you’re a student and have a valid school email address, you can get 50% off your first year of Squarespace.
Heads up, though – you can’t use this discount alongside any other offer codes. But you can apply it to up to three websites under one school email address, which is pretty useful.
Personal vs Business Plan
This plan is perfect for building simple, stylish websites, and gives you all the basics you could need for a well-rounded website. The features you get on this plan include:
- Unlimited bandwidth and storage
- Free custom domain
- SSL security
- Two contributors
- Website metrics
- Mobile-optimized sites
- 24/7 support
- Unlimited contributors
- Advanced website metrics
- Professional email from Google
- $500 Google Ads credit
- Promotional pop-ups
- Complete customization
- Announcement bar
- Premium blocks and integrations
Although it isn’t a full-blown online store plan, you can sell on the
It’s no surprise the
Basic Commerce vs Advanced Commerce Plan
- Sell unlimited products
- No transaction fees
- Gift cards
- Powerful commerce metrics
- Inventory, orders, tax, and coupons
- Label printing
- Checkout on your domain
- Customer accounts
- List products on Instagram
- Integrated accounting
- Mobile optimized checkout
- Abandoned cart autorecovery
- Advanced shipping
- Flexible discounts
- Orders API
These advanced features are designed to power growth in your business: abandoned cart auto-recovery sends automatic emails to customers who leave products in their carts at checkout, discounts and gift cards offer great rewards for loyal customers, and advanced shipping lets you calculate real-time shipping rates with ease.
Which Squarespace Plans Have We Recommended the Most?
Squarespace has fixed monthly costs, with no hidden surprises. That said, there are certain things you may want to pay a bit extra for when setting up your website. While you don’t have to, we strongly recommend investing in a few basic features to set up your site for success. And if you’re building an ecommerce site, you’ll also want to know how transaction fees work.
Squarespace Transaction Fees
For online stores, a transaction fee is a percentage of a customer’s order total, including shipping fees. Squarespace doesn’t charge any transaction fees on its two ecommerce plans (
In other words, if you use the less expensive
You need your own custom domain name for your website because it gives you a recognizable and credible image with your visitors. When you first build your Squarespace site, your domain will look like this: www.yoursite.squarespace.com – but this isn’t memorable or professional!
The cost of your domain name typically depends on the domain name extension (.com, .net, .us…) that you choose, and it will come to around $20-50 per year.
Sending emails is a great way of engaging visitors and growing your site’s audience, whether you’re promoting a sale, releasing new products, or sharing blog posts. Squarespace has multiple options for your marketing campaigns. When you sign up to the
But Squarespace also offers an all-in-one email marketing platform called Squarespace Email Campaigns. It lets you create custom emails straight from your website, meaning your marketing integrates seamlessly with your site’s branding. The cheapest Email Campaigns plan starts at $5 per month.
Squarespace is the best value for money, scoring 4.6 out of 5 in our latest research and beating out all other builders. But with a few additional tips from our experts, you’ll be able to really get the most bang for your buck.
Squarespace Pricing Tips
- Nearly 40% of users are best off with the
Businessplan: We’ve recommended the Businessplan to 38% of the 8,000 readers who’ve used our Squarespace Plan Selector Tool. The Businessplan ( $23/month) is a happy medium for a lot of sites, because you can sell online without the higher cost of a full-on ecommerce plan.
- Pay annually, not monthly: At first, paying for an annual subscription may seem more expensive, but it’s actually the most cost-effective route in the long run. You can save up to 30% each year by paying for 12 months in one go. For example, the Business plan costs $23 per month when you pay annually, but this jumps up to $33 per month when you pay monthly.
- Use these extra discounts: When you sign up for your first Squarespace plan, enter our discount code “WBE“ at checkout to get 10% off the price. If you already have a Squarespace plan, then you can use this discount on your first upgrade instead! Squarespace also offers a student discount of 50% off the first year when you sign up with your valid school email address. Just note that you can’t combine these two discount offers, so if you’re a student, you’ll have to pick one!
Out of all the website builders we tested, Squarespace is the best value for money, scoring 4.6 out of 5.
Compared to other top builders, Squarespace’s $16/month starting prices are on par with those of Wix, which is pretty impressive when you consider that Wix doesn’t offer unlimited storage or bandwidth like Squarespace does.
Squarespace is also the only builder that saw an improvement in its value score since the recent industry-wide pricing increases. While all other builders we tested dropped in value for money compared to last year, Squarespace actually increased its value score by a whopping 15% by offering more features alongside its higher prices.
Its $23/month Business plan, in particular, gives you access to a wide range of features, making this plan the one we’d recommend for website owners looking to get the most out of their Squarespace subscription.
Here’s an overview of how Squarespace’s prices compare to those of its top competitors. We’ve included both the cheapest plan (in blue) and the best value for money plan (in purple):
You should now know which Squarespace plan is best for you. There are four Squarespace plans to choose from, and you always start out on the 14-day free trial – no payment details are needed until you’re ready to choose your plan:
Squarespace Price Plans: Recap
- Personal plan: $16/month ($23/month billed monthly) – best for starting a small but stylish website
- Business plan: $23/month ($33/month billed monthly) – best for small businesses
- Basic Commerce: $27/month ($36/month billed monthly) – best for small online stores
- Advanced Commerce: $49/month ($65/month billed monthly) – best for growing online stores
Based on the results of 8,291 users who’ve used our Squarespace plan selector tool, 38% of users are best off with the Business plan. This plan comes with premium features such as pop-ups, professional email, and basic ecommerce tools.
The key takeaway from this pricing review is that Squarespace is the best value for money, scoring 4.7 out of 5 in our recent website builder research. All of Squarespace’s plans come with unlimited storage and bandwidth – in comparison, Wix’s cheapest $16/month annual plan only provides 2GB of storage!
Finally, you can save money on your Squarespace plan by choosing an annual subscription, and by applying a Squarespace discount code. Enter our exclusive code “WBE” at checkout to save 10% on your chosen plan.
Squarespace is all about quality. You won’t find better template designs or in-house features anywhere on the market, and we think it offers the best value for money out of all of the top builders. If you’re looking for a cheap or free way to build your website, though, Squarespace isn’t for you. But, if you’re creative and want a sleek, professional site, look no further.
Nothing! That’s right, hosting is free with Squarespace – you get fully managed cloud hosting included in every Squarespace plan, at no extra cost. You don’t need to find your own hosting, or pay for extra services – just sign up, sit back, and enjoy your site stress free.
It’s easy to cancel your Squarespace subscription. You can turn off auto-renew, so that your site expires at the end of your billing term. Or, you can cancel immediately, by going into your Billing settings, and selecting “Cancel Website Subscription”. There are guides and videos to help you in the Squarespace Help Center.
Yes! You can upgrade or downgrade your plan at any time, by going into your Billing settings and selecting “Change Plan.” It’s easy to change plans based on your site’s needs – you’ll lose any premium features when you downgrade, or unlock more features when you upgrade.
- US dollar
- British Pound Sterling
- Australian Dollar
If you’re selling through your Squarespace website, you can charge in any of the 20 currencies supported by Squarespace.